Curly Vs. Coily Hair: What’s the difference?
June 29 2021
Are you ready for curls you’ll love? Once you understand your curl type, it’s easier to determine the products and routine needed to create beautiful curly, very curly and coily locks!
Because not all curly hair is the same, you’ll want to get to the root of your curl pattern!
First off, there’s Wavy/Curly hair. This pattern is typically an “S” shape or a spiral shape. The thin fibers allow it to be weighed down easily, but also allow for natural oils to travel to the ends, allowing for only a medium amount of extra moisture. If you think you have this type of hair, use an ultra-light weight conditioner and low-heat styling. Try the Kérastase Paris Curl Manifesto Line products like the Fondant Hydratation Essentielle Conditioner and the Crème De Jour Fondamentale Hair Cream.
Very Curly is the next level of curly hair. This pattern comes in the form of loose curls or tight, springy corkscrew curls with strands winding closely around themselves. The hair fiber is more porous and fragile but also makes it challenging for natural oils to make their way to the ends of the hair. If you have this type of hair, you’ll want to use a wide tooth comb to detangle your hair. You may also want to sleep with a silk head wrap or pillowcase. Try the Kérastase Paris Curl Manifesto Line products like the extra nourishing Masque Beurre Haute Nutrition Hair Mask or the Huile Sublime Repair Hair Oil.
Lastly, Coily hair is one you may not have heard of, even if you have it. This pattern comes in tight corkscrews or a zig-zag pattern, with curls that are very dense near the scalp and loosen a bit toward the ends. These thin fibers tend to be dry and fragile, and because the natural oils can’t travel to the ends, you’ll need to add intense nutrition and treatments. If you have this hair type, you’ll want to be sure to dry with a microfiber towel and wrap your hair in silk overnight. Try the Kérastase Paris Curl Manifesto Line products like the Bain Hydration Douceur Shampoo, the Gelee Curl Contour Gel-Cream and the Refresh Absolu Hair Spray.
We invite you talk with your stylist about your curl type, so you can create a curl care routine that is perfect for you. The stylists at 5th Avenue will help you explore your curls to achieve that beautiful curly hair you’ve always wanted.
- Nourish Your Dreams
- Love Your Lashes!
- Healthy Scalp, Healthy Hair
- Summer Sun Glow in Only 30 Minutes!
- Could Your Long Hair Use Some Strength?
- Kérastase Fusio Scrub Awaken Your Beauty
- Holiday Boutique- Gifts, Glamour and more!
- Give Them Something to ‘hairtalk®’ About!
- We’ve Got an App For That!
- We Won! Best Salon, Best Mani/ Pedi and Best Stylist, Jessica McCoy
- Easy Beautiful Hair in Less Time
- Men: Ready for Thicker Hair?
- Bye Bye Frizz and Flyaways
- Are you ready for Luscious Lashes?
- Summer Glow… No Sun Needed
- Bring on the Color!
- Time To Put On Your Halo (Extensions)
- Heal Your Dry Winter Heels
- Makeup That’s Also Skincare
- Scalp Bacteria… Gross or Good?
- Sleep. Then Wake Up with Beautiful Hair.
- Farm to Skin: Our new FarmHouse Fresh Products
- Long Hair Goals? Give us 3 months!
- Protect Your Tresses without Stress!
- Curly Vs. Coily Hair: What’s the difference?
- Be Your Best Blonde
- From Damaged to Dazzling
- Smooth. Shine. Protect. Repeat.
- Curls Just Wanna Have Fun
- The Dry Shampoo Life
- 5 Tips to Combat Dry Winter Hair Issues
- Now Offering- Hand Tied Weft Extensions!
- Falling for Uniquely Colored Hair
- Are You Making these Common Hair Mistakes?
- Beach Waves or Straight Hair for Days
- Sun-Kissed Summer Hair
- We Can't Wait to See You!
- Make Mom Feel Beautiful
- We're HAIR for YOU!
- For the Love of Balayage
- Wedding Makeup You’ll Love
- Bobs and Lobs
- Extension Hair Care
- 5 Tips to Reduce Static Hair
- Get Fancy with your Braids for the Holidays
- 10 Tips for Winter Hair
- Fall Hair Trends
- Constructive Feedback
- Toner, overlays. What?
- How to treat your post Summer hair.